Friday, March 7, 2008

Vacances de Printemps, Semaine 1

AKA Spring Vacation, Week 1

I have another two week vacation coming up in April. I know what you're thinking - already?! Didn't I just get back from the Vacation of Decadence? Well yes, but remember I work in France and the French take their vacation time seriously. They will go on strike if you try to mess with their vacation time, working hours, and retirement.

My vacation officially begins Saturday, April 5. On Saturday, I am taking a train from Ussel to Toulouse. In Toulouse, I am catching a plane to Madrid!! I have reserved a bed in one of the highest-ranked hostels in the world. I will be there for four nights to explore Madrid, tapas, Camper shoes, El Prado, La Reina Sofia, Thyssen-Bornemisza, El Parque de Buen Retiro, dozens of churches of various importances, El Palacio Real, the National Archaeological Museum, and plates and plates of Spanish food including chocolate y churros, Rioja wine, paella, gazpacho, and other deliciousness. I also plan two day trips, hopefully, to El Escorial (a monastery) and Toledo (because I am a traveler).

After Madrid, I will take either a bus or train to Barcelona where I have reserved a bed at a highly recommended hostel for three nights. I plan on seeing La Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, maybe a beach or two, and delicious Catalan food. I alos plan on taking a day trip to Zaragoza to see the cathedral, Roman ruins, Aljaferia, and random museums. Also for more food.

After Barcelona, I will take a plane to Paris and meet up with Maggie!! That next week is not yet planned as I'm not quite sure how we're going to swing six nights. But I am super duper excited. Other than lesson planning, vacation planning is pretty much the only real activity I do.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Yay Spain! Are you staying at Sant Jordi in Barcelona? Well, wherever you stay there, I def recommend this cooking class offered by a local company. You learn to make sangria, tapas and paella, and it's a lot of fun! If you want the details, let me know :)
And just FYI, La Sagrada Famillia and a few other places were undergoing some major construction during the "off season" so hopefully they will be finished by April!