Monday, March 10, 2008

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Saturday was my work day. My tutoring student canceled (I'm only disappointed because that means 15E less for me), so I had a long day to plan out lessons and activities. Theoretically I could have cleaned my room, but apparently I can't be bothered to clean that pigsty. Ewie. But I did come up with some ideas for a stations lesson for my ridiculous third graders.

On Saturday evening, Rocio's friend Carina came over. Carina is an English teacher in Mexico who is currently a Spanish assistant in Brive. The idea was to go see Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis which is a nationwide blockbuster release. However, we live in a two-screen theatre town and this movie is being shown a total of maybe five times. So we get to the theatre and the line is out the door and in the parking lot. They closed the door basically in our faces! Man! The only other movie playing that night was Sweeney Todd, and none of us were interested in seeing that. So we got a beer at the "Mexican" pub across the street which was showing a rugby game and had American license plates covering the wall. Anyone have a New York one to donate?? Then we went back home where Rocio made dinner, we had beer and tortilla chips, and finished the pear ice cream.

Sunday, I had an invitation to go downhill skiing with Alexia, my second grade teacher colleague at School One, and her son A*, my third grade student at School One. Alexia has never been skiing in her life - she's more of a cross-country girl - and A* is eight. So we were ultra-beginners. So we get to Mont Dore and it is a MOUNTAIN. Oh my goodness. After lunch, we bought a ski pass and rented skis. This entire trip cost about 40E, by the way. Very inexpensive. I kid you not, the MINUTE we get on the slopes, A* falls down and breaks into uncontrollable tears. Oh I felt so bad. This was his idea and he was so upset that it wasn't working the way he wanted. So Alexia and he spent the time on the level part getting used to skis. I took the bench-on-a-clothesline thingy to the top with the sole intention of just making it down. Once. Well...I went about two hundred meters down, and mostly on my butt and face. I was close to the parking lot at this point so I said "Screw it!" I couldn't get up anymore and I couldn't figure out how to go slow enough down the "hill" (it was maybe 30 degrees) without panicking and falling to my butt. So I took my skis off. I was laughing the whole time. I was just amazed at my lack of physical coordination and ability to move the way I needed to. My left butt cheek really hurts, and I'm sure there will be a great bruise there soon. Also my right calf. Bizarre. An awesome trip. A* eventually enjoyed himself too and was smiling.

As my dad pointed out in his email following a Skype call to Mom, there's a reason our family didn't shell out $1000 a person to go down a hill. He had similar experiences. Cross-country skiing is so much more exhilarating and rewarding. Alexia said maybe next time we'll do that.

So yeah. I tried downhill skiing and now I don't want to do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't do anything exciting this weekend like you did.
Too bad I never taught you how to ski......we could have gone up your backyard ski area.
Love,
Oma