Monday, December 3, 2007

Mondays are NOT fun.

Ugh. So I think I may have a hypothesis as to why I can't fall asleep at night and why I have a hard time waking up in the morning. My government-issued high school living quarters mattress is way too hard. Normally I like a firmer mattress, but this one is just painful. I realized this last night. Hm. I could buy one at the Wal-Mart for about 100€. Or I could investigate other ways to be more comfortable at night, like finding some rocks.

(I am super duper stoked that I finally found how to make the euro symbol.)

Today was ok, other than still not being able to wake up and get crap done at a decent hour. I only had two of my three scheduled classes because my School One third graders were on a field trip to the cinema or theater or something like that. They didn't really know. But School One's and School Two's fourth graders did awful in their notebook check. The object of this lesson was to check to make sure they had the right pages in their notebooks and that the pages were filled out completely. I collected them all (baaad idea - those suckers are heavy!) and am correcting them. But both of these classes just WOULD NOT SHUT UP. Oh my goodness. But I enjoy correcting their notebooks. Hopefully they will study and do well on the evaluations.

Today I confirmed hotel reservations for the Christmas vacations. I will be spending New Year's Eve in Lyon, the gastronomic capital of France and the third-largest city, with a fellow assistant named Shannon. She's stationed in way northern France teaching high school students, and we've been talking online through Facebook and the assistants' forum. She's excited and seems to be of a similar mind when it comes to traveling. So I'm excited :) Yay for new friends!

Despite not doing anything remotely productive this morning besides finding unblocked season seven of Scrubs on YouTube (which has been promptly shut down as of this evening), I managed to get quite a bit done tonight. I'm dong working though because I'm tired, it's late, and I have people to chat with.

The best way to beat homesickness is to keep busy. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Peace out :)

1 comment:

shannon said...

Hi! I just wanted to say one more time (well, and probably more to come), how excited I am for Lyon and Dijon! I've been wanting to go to Lyon for a long time - it was even my first choice region - so I can't wait to finally be there! We're going to have a blast!