Monday, October 22, 2007

Toussaint Vacation

The upcoming October break is called Toussaint (All-Saints) and is from Saturday, October 27 to Tuesday, November 6. However, I don't have lessons on Wednesdays so my own vacation is until November 7. Here is where I'm going, what I'm doing, and where I'm staying:

Sat. 10/27: Ussel -> Montignac
Montignac
Montignac is a good base for exploring the Lascaux Caves, which have prehistoric cave paintings.
I will be staying at Hotel de la Grotte

Mon. 10/29: Montignac -> Les Eyzies de Tayac-Sireuil
Les Eyzies de Tayac-Sireuil
Les Eyzies (blah blah blah) has more prehistoric cave paintings, but unlike Lascaux, these are the real things.
I will be staying at hotel de France Auberge du Musee, part of a partially-government funded hotel chain. God I love France.

Wed. 10/31: Les Ezyies -> Sarlat-La-Caneda
Sarlat-La-Caneda
Sarlat is a pretty village with castles and old stuff. Ben recommended it when I mentioned it as a possibility.
I will be staying at Hotel de la Madeleine.

Fri. 11/2: Sarlat -> Cahors
Cahors
Cahors is another pretty village with more castles and old stuff. Karine, a marketing teacher here at the high school, lives in Cahors and has given me her phone number so we could possibly meet up. Apparently Cahors is where the Roman wine-making tradition still is, as in this is where they make the oldest wine. I tried some; it's good stuff.
I will be staying at Auberge de Jeunesse de Frederic Suisse, the only youth hostel on the trip.

Sun. 11/4: Cahors -> Lourdes
Lourdes
Lourdes is a Catholic pilgrimage site where the waters in a cave that a little girl saw visions of the Virgin Mary are said to heal people. The last confirmed case was an Italian woman cured of rheumatoid arthritis or something of that nature. Catholic mythology is enthralling.
I will be staying at Hotel Viscos.

Wed. 11/7: Lourdes -> Ussel
This leg of the trip will probably take all day. Hopefully I can find another liberry book.

I'm very excited!!!

No comments: